Whilst crocheting my lemon peel stitch blanket, I was intrigued by the different crochet stitches to be made with double crochet and single crochet stitches. The next obvious choice, was to learn how to crochet wattle stitch.
Wattle stitch is an easy, textured and reversable crochet stitch.
Whilst the lemon peel stitch creates the illusion of a tiny bobble, the wattle stitch, has an almost flowery/fan-like look.
This crochet pattern is again a combination of single and double crochet stitches only (US terms).
What makes that stitch even more enjoyable is that one only needs to count in the first row! The rest, as they say, is....simple and easy.
How to crochet wattle stitch
WHAT YOU'LL NEED:
- Yarn of your choice - I used double knitting weight/light or light worsted yarn
- Hook size for your yarn choice - hook used for this project - 4mm, G/6 (US) 8 (UK)
Skill level: Beginner with basic crochet skills
Some of the links are affiliated. If you make a purchase as a result thereof, I will be compensated, at no additional cost to you. Thanks for supporting me!
STITCHES AND ABBREVIATIONS
ch – chain
dc - double crochet
hdc - half double crochet
sc - single crochet
sts - stitches
GAUGE AND SIZE
Not available as yarn, hook and tension may differ.
NOTES TO CLARIFY
Ch1 at every end of the row, does not count as a stitch.
More Crochet stuff shared in my Amazon Influencer Shop
free pattern - how to crochet wattle stitch
The pattern is in US terms.
Start with chains in multiples of 3 required to achieve the size of your project.
In the sample, I started with 24 chains.
1st row: in third ch from the hook, (SC, CH, DC)(in the same ch), skip 2 chains, *(SC, CH, DC) in next stitch, sk2 chains, repeat from *to the end, turn;
2nd row: ch1, continue (SC, CH, DC) in every ch1-space from the previous row. In a more technical way - sk 1 sc and 1 dc, and (SC, CH, DC) in the chain-1 opening (which is the next opening)(just before the next sc), repeat across, sc in last stitch, turn.
(some crochet patterns end each row with a hdc and not a sc. Use your own judgement in terms of your tension and stitch height).
Repeat row 2 until your work is the desired length.
And that's how to crochet wattle stitch!
explanatory notes on the wattle stitch:
In my swatch, I started with 24 chains and made my last SC, CH, DC combination in the last ch.
In my second row, I still made my first SC, CH, DC combination in the first ch1-opening (but it means, in this row, I skipped the dc from the previous row and not a sc and dc.
As I am ending my 2nd row with a sc, in the 3rd row, I skipped the sc and dc and then made my combination in the ch1-opening.
** see the image above **
more about double crochet and single crochet combination stitches:
The following crochet stitch patterns are similar to the Wattle stitch, in that all of the patterns use a combination of dc and sc's throughout:
Where to use the wattle stitch
- Bags or pouches
Well done - you mastered another crochet stitch!
Please care to share the post on one of your social media accounts!
Enjoy more crochet projects available on the blog:
- Crochet Tissue Pouch
- You'll want to crochet (or knit) one of the best Christmas trees
- Crochet Quiet Books
- Crochet an elegant pillow cover
- The most adorable animal granny squares
- The most popular granny squares to use in blankets/throws
- How to crochet straight granny stitch
- Crochet Bunny Wall Hanging
- 15+ Site that offer free Crochet Patterns
- Small crochet squares to create picture blankets
- Crafts for charity
- Quick and Easy Baby Blankets on Etsy
- Handmade Gift Ideas
- Crochet (and Knitting) Christmas gift ideas
- Easy Moss Stitch Baby Blanket
- Minnie Mouse Crochet Ornament
- Best DIY Christmas Gift Ideas for Grandkids
- Easy Crochet Hanger Cover in Crazy Stitch
- More free baby crochet blanket patterns
- Quick and easy crochet chevron baby blanket
- How to crochet Crazy Stitch
- Easy Crochet Pot Plant Cover
- How to Crochet Moss Stitch
- Crochet Patterns for Boys
- Add DIY Poufs to your Decor
- 5 Free Crochet Baby Blanket Patterns to make in a weekend
- Super Easy Crochet Baby Blanket