The Crochet Lemon Peel Stitch is also known as Soft Moss Stitch. It is an easy, textured and reversable crochet stitch.
At a glance, the stitch creates the illusion of a tiny bobble, but you'll be surprised to see what it is made of.
The pattern is a combination of single and double crochet stitches only (US terms). I've found the stitch to be very relaxing to crochet and I also don't need to concentrate that much doing so. (which makes it a fun stitch to do anyway!)
I used this crochet stitch pattern to create the 5-Shades of Grey Crochet Blanket - scroll down for the link.
How to crochet lemon peel stitch (or soft moss stitch)
WHAT YOU'LL NEED:
- Yarn of your choice - I used double knitting weight/light or light worsted yarn
- Hook size for your yarn choice - hook used for this project - 4mm, G/6 (US) 8 (UK)
Skill level: Beginner with basic crochet skills
Some of the links are affiliated. If you make a purchase as a result thereof, I will be compensated, at no additional cost to you. Thanks for supporting me!
STITCHES AND ABBREVIATIONS
ch – chain
dc - double crochet
hdc - half double crochet
sc - single crochet
sts - stitches
GAUGE AND SIZE
Not available as yarn, hook and tension may differ.
NOTES TO CLARIFY
Ch1 at every end of the row, does not count as a stitch.
More Crochet stuff shared in my Amazon Influencer Shop
pattern of the CROCHET lemon peel stitch
The pattern is in US terms.
Start with any amount of chains required to achieve the size of your project.
In the sample, I started with 200 chains.
1st row: ch1, sc in second chain from the hook, dc in next stitch, repeat the alternating sc and dc sts, to the end, ch1 and turn;
2nd row: continue alternating the sc and dc sts. Always work a single crochet stitch into a double crochet stitch and a double crochet into a single crochet stitch.
Since I ended my first row with a dc, my second row starts with a sc, dc in next st (a sc in the first row), *alternate sc, dc to end, ch1 and turn.
In you've started with an even number of chains, your work will always end with a dc and start the next row with a sc. An uneven number of stitches will result in one row beginning with a sc and the next row with dc.
Continue in this 2-row pattern until your work is the required length.
I'm confident that this stitch will become one of your go-to sources!
variation on THE LEMON PEEL STITCH pattern
My pattern is very informal but some of you may not like the uncertainty of a go-with-the-flow kind of approach.
For you, I include a formal version:
Chain multiples of 2 + 1
Foundation row: sc in 3rd ch from the hook, *dc in next ch, sc in next ch, repeat from * to last 2 chains, dc in next st and ending with a hdc in the last ch, turn;
1st row: ch2 (counts as a hdc throughout), skip the first hdc, *sc in next dc (of previous row), dc in next sc (of previous row), repeat from * to last st, hdc in top of ch-2, turn.
Repeat 1st row until your work is the required length.
more about easy combination crochet stitches:
The following crochet stitch patterns are similar to the Lemon Peel stitch, in that all of the patterns use a combination of dc and sc's throughout:
Where to use the lemon peel stitch
- Bags or pouches
Well done - you mastered another crochet stitch!
Please care to share the post on one of your social media accounts!
Enjoy more crochet projects available on the blog:
- Crochet Tissue Pouch
- You'll want to crochet (or knit) one of the best Christmas trees
- Crochet Quiet Books
- Crochet an elegant pillow cover
- The most adorable animal granny squares
- The most popular granny squares to use in blankets/throws
- How to crochet straight granny stitch
- Crochet Bunny Wall Hanging
- 15+ Site that offer free Crochet Patterns
- Small crochet squares to create picture blankets
- Crafts for charity
- Quick and Easy Baby Blankets on Etsy
- Handmade Gift Ideas
- Crochet (and Knitting) Christmas gift ideas
- Easy Moss Stitch Baby Blanket
- Minnie Mouse Crochet Ornament
- Best DIY Christmas Gift Ideas for Grandkids
- Easy Crochet Hanger Cover in Crazy Stitch
- More free baby crochet blanket patterns
- Quick and easy crochet chevron baby blanket
- How to crochet Crazy Stitch
- Easy Crochet Pot Plant Cover
- How to Crochet Moss Stitch
- Crochet Patterns for Boys
- Add DIY Poufs to your Decor
- 5 Free Crochet Baby Blanket Patterns to make in a weekend
- Super Easy Crochet Baby Blanket