Do you have a ridiculous amount of crochet projects in the working? Me too!! And before you know it, you'll grab a new ball of yarn and start the herringbone half double crochet stitch.
Seriously. This is a beautiful stitch with a unique texture!
It creates such an interesting and textured stitch fabric and I can't wait to see the final project - which by the way, is a blanket!
Expand your crochet stitch library with more new stitches:
HOW TO CROCHET HERRINGBONE HALF DOUBLE CROCHET STITCH PATTERN
NOTES ABOUT THE HERRINGBONE PATTERN
- Herringbone stitch pattern is a 1-row repeat and you can use it in any number of stitches.
- The pattern is a variation of ordinary half double crochet.
- HHDC is a reversible pattern which means the wrong side of your work will look just like the right side of your work.
- Once you get the hang of pulling through the stitch and loop, you'll be unstoppable!
Skill level: Beginner/Intermediate
SKILLS NEEDED TO CROCHET THE HHDC STITCH
- How to chain;
- Half double crochet
- Yarn of your choice in any yarn weight - the sample swatch used double knitting weight/light or light worsted yarn;
- Hook size for your yarn choice - hook used for this project - 4mm, G/6 (US) 8 (UK)
- Scissors and
- Crochet Stitch Pattern of your choice.
STITCHES AND ABBREVIATIONS (US)
ch - chain
hdc - half double crochet
sl st - slip stitch
GAUGE AND SIZE
This is a crochet swatch to demonstrate the stitch pattern.
Gauge and size is not available as yarn, hook and tension may differ.
Crochet supplies shared in my Amazon Influencer Shop - click the pink link below:-
Some of the links are affiliated. If you make a purchase as a result thereof, I will be compensated, at no additional cost to you. Thanks for supporting me!
PATTERN FOR HALF DOUBLE CROCHET HERRINGBONE STITCH - WRITTEN INSTRUCTIONS
(VIDEO TUTORIAL BELOW)
The pattern is in US terms.
How to crochet a normal hdc stitch:
Yarn over, insert hook into chain or stitch, yarn over and draw through stitch. Yarn over and draw through 2 loops on the hook = HDC.
Chain in any stitch multiples:
Chain amount of stitches required to obtain your measurements + 2.
First row: In second chain from the hook, yarn over, insert hook into next chain, yarn over and draw through stitch and first loop on the hook (like a slip stitch, sl st). Yarn over and draw through the remaining 2 loops. = 1 x HHDC. Repeat this pattern to the last chain. Ch 2 and turn.
Second row: In the first stitch of the row, yarn over, insert hook into next stitch, yarn over and draw through stitch and first loop on the hook (like a slip stitch). Yarn over and draw through the remaining 2 loops. = 1 x HHDC. Repeat this pattern to the last stitch. Ch 2 and turn.
Repeat row 2 until your work is the required length.
Enjoy your project made in this great stitch!
Please remember to subscribe to my YouTube channel.
CAN I CROCHET HERRINGBONE HDC STITCH IN DIFFERENT COLORS?
I'd suggest that any color changes are made at the end of the row and always at the same side of your work.
HERRINGBONE CROCHET STITCH PATTERN IN UK TERMS
Use the US pattern above and substitute all half double crochet stitches with half treble crochet (htr) (UK terms).
WHERE TO USE THE HERRINGBONE PATTERN?
- Scarves (especially for men)
- Baby blankets
- Throws, blankets
- Oversized jerseys
- Pillow covers
Enjoy more basic stitches available on the blog:
Please take care to share the post on one of your social media accounts!
Enjoy more crochet projects available on the blog:
- Crochet Tissue Pouch
- You'll want to crochet (or knit) one of the best Christmas trees
- Crochet Quiet Books
- Crochet an elegant pillow cover
- The most adorable animal granny squares
- The most popular granny squares to use in blankets/throws
- How to crochet straight granny stitch
- Crochet Bunny Wall Hanging
- 15+ Site that offer free Crochet Patterns
- Small crochet squares to create picture blankets
- Crafts for charity
- Quick and Easy Baby Blankets on Etsy
- Handmade Gift Ideas
- Crochet (and Knitting) Christmas gift ideas
- Easy Moss Stitch Baby Blanket
- Minnie Mouse Crochet Ornament
- Best DIY Christmas Gift Ideas for Grandkids
- Easy Crochet Hanger Cover in Crazy Stitch
- More free baby crochet blanket patterns
- Quick and easy crochet chevron baby blanket
- How to crochet Crazy Stitch
- Easy Crochet Pot Plant Cover
- How to Crochet Moss Stitch
- Crochet Patterns for Boys
- Add DIY Poufs to your Decor
- 5 Free Crochet Baby Blanket Patterns to make in a weekend
- Super Easy Crochet Baby Blanket