Have you raised your eyebrows when you read Smocked Ribbing Knit Stitch Pattern?
I am with you - we all know (well most crafters do) that smocking is a sewing term. If you search the term, you'll end up with the prettiest dresses for little girls with gathered bodices, beautifully embellished with hand embroidery.
Add this lovely Smocking stitch to your knit stitch patterns library.
HOW TO KNIT SMOCKED RIBBING KNIT STITCH - A LOVELY 2 x 2 RIB GATHERED IN A SMOCKED-LIKE PATTERN
- Any Yarn of your choice
- The sample was knit with Elle Gold dk weight yarn or Light worsted yarn
- Knitting Needles according to the thickness of your yarn (I used 4mm, 6 US size , 8 UK size)
- Cable needle or double pointed knitting needle
- Tapestry needle
- Measuring Tape
- The Pattern
This post contains affiliate links. I may be compensated (at no added cost to you) if you make a purchase using these links.
BASIC STITCHES USED:
- Casting on stitches
- Knit stitches
- Purl st
- How to Tie stitches - not scary at all (explanation below)
- Casting off stitches
SIZE / DIMENSIONS (APPROXIMATE):
4" wide (10 cm) x 4" long (approximate 10 cm) (including the scalloped edge)
With the materials as listed, my gauge is (to obtain a 4" x 4"):
34 stitches knit over 24 rows.
Easier than you think and suitable for advanced beginner knitters.
MORE ABOUT SMOCKED RIB STITCH
- Smocked rib pattern is not reversible.
- The purl side (the second row) is the right side of your work.
- The right side of your knitting project will feature a 2 x 2 rib pattern, with stitches tied with the working yarn in regular intervals to form a honeycomb-like design.
- All that is to it is to wrap the yarn around stitches to create a decorative look.
- You almost create a faux cable on a 2 x 2 rib pattern.
*– * - repeat from *
cn - cable needle
co - cast on
dp - double pointed (needle)
k - knit
p - purl
RS - right side
st - stitch
sts - stitches
WS - wrong side
Tie 2: slip 2 sts onto a cable needle (cn or dp) (purl wise) and hold at front of work.
Wrap the yarn from left to right (counterclockwise) around the 2 sts, twice and then k2 off the cn/dp-needle.
Tie 6: slip 6 sts onto a cable needle (cn or dp) (purl wise) and hold at front of work.
Wrap the yarn from left to right (counterclockwise) around the 6 sts, twice and then k2, p2, k2 off the cn/dp-needle.
THOUGH THE INSTRUCTIONS ARE TO USE A CN OR DP - YOU CAN KNIT THIS STITCH JUST WITH YOUR 2 KNITTING NEEDLES.
KNITTING PATTERN INSTRUCTIONS
STITCH PATTERN FOR SMOCKED RIBBING:
Assuming you knit with 2 needles, flat:
Co in multiples of 8, plus 10
Knit as follows:-
1st Row (and all alternative rows) (WS) - *k2, p2*; repeat from* across ending with k2.
2nd Row and 4th row - *p2, k2*; repeat from* across ending with p2.
6th Row - *p2, tie 6sts, p2, tie 6sts; repeat from * across, ending with p2.
8th and 10th Rows - *p2, k2*; repeat from* across ending with p2.
12th Row - p2, tie 2sts, k the 2 tie sts, p2, tie 6 sts, p2*; tie 2 sts; repeat from * across, ending with p2.
Repeat row 1 - 12 until your work is the desired length.
Cast off and weave in ends.
DOES THIS SMOCKED RIB STITCH CURL?
Luckily no curling as 2 x 2 rib holds everything in place.
WHAT CAN I KNIT IN A SMOCKED RIB STITCH PATTERN?
The answer is - whatever you want.
The cabled appearance of the stitch patterning can be used in the following knitting projects (mostly free patterns):
- Baby blankets (squares might be a better option)
- Throws (image only - but with gorgeous texture) or throws panels
- Ladies Top
- Cardigan Jacket
- Smock Stitch Hat
- Gloves/Hand warmers
- Baby smock dress or Baby to Toddler Vintage Dress
- Socks or Leg Warmers
- Tea Cozy
For more free knitting patterns, have a look at the KNITTING category page on the blog.
So, what is your next project going to be? Something in smoked rib stitch?
Please tag me on social media @easyonthetongue, I'd like to see your designs and makes.
Whatever you do -