Knitting Stitches – How to Knit Garter Stitch Ridges
We all start our knitting journey with rows and rows of garter stitch, as a newbie, intermediate or advanced knitter, you can knit garter stitch ridges as an alternative.
Garter stitch in itself is full of ridges as every 2 rows form a ridge.
In the pattern to knit garter stitch ridges though, the ridges are formed by repeat purl rows.
knitting stitches - how to knit garter stitch ridges
Why use garter stitch ridges
- It is stretchy
- A very neat alternative to plain garter stitch
- Smooth and neat on the back
- Interesting texture
WHAT YOU'll need
- Knitting Needles (I used 4mm, 6US, 8UK)
- Elle Double Knit (DK) yarn / Light worsted yarn
Shop your yarn, needles and other knitting supplies on Amazon:
(Yes, I am an affiliate and will earn a small commission should you use my link - at no extra cost to you.)
how TO KNIT garter stitch ridges
co - cast on
k - Knit
p - Purl
rep - repeat
st - Stitch
sts - Stitches
the pattern - garter ridge stitch
Cast on any amount of stitches.
First row - (right side) Knit
Second row - Purl
Third row - Knit
Forth row - Purl
Rows 5 - 10 - Purl
Repeat these 10 rows until your work is the desired length.
Weave in the ends.
more about the GARTER RIDGE stitch
where to use the knit a RIBBING stitch garter stitch ridges
- Yoke of a Baby Cardigan by Knana Knits
- Baby Cardigan by Lion Brand
- Blocks to create throws/blankets
Variations on garter stitch ridges
- A variation on the amount of pattern rows, some are 10 others 12;
- When knitting garter stitch ridges, the ridges are created with repeat purl rows;
- Reverse ridge stitch, the ridges are created with repeat knit rows.
Check out our Knitting for Beginners Series:
more knitting stitches
How to knit:
The links is this post is affiliate links and I will be compensated if someone makes a purchase as a result thereof. It is a means to recover the cost to maintain this site.