Let’s learn to crochet the diagonal fan crochet stitch (free pattern).
Wait, why does the title mention diagonal shell crochet stitch?
- First, there are different names for the same stitches, or
- Slight variations of the stitch names, and
- Variations to the stitch technique and
- Often, people use stitches and name it whatever they want.
Before we try to unravel the name issue of our new pattern, let me suggest more easy crochet patterns for your stitch library:
Learn to crochet diagonal fan (or Shell) stitch pattern
This simple crochet stitch features fans made of 5 dc stitches (US) or tr (UK) worked into chain spaces of the previous rows and Sc stitches (US) or dc (UK) to shape the scallops.
NOTES ABOUT SHELLS AND FANS STITCHES
- Shell stitches are normally created when three or more double crochet stitches (US) (tr – UK) are made in the same stitch.
- The difference between shell and fan stitches (as I understand it) is that with shells, no chains or chain spaces are created, whereas
- When creating fan stitches, you’d often crochet e.g., dc, ch, dc, ch, dc in one stitch (or opening).
- If the explanation above is correct, this stitch should in fact only be known as Diagonal Shell Crochet Stitch.
- But there are diagonal shell stitch crochet patterns available with one (or more) differences from the pattern we will be sharing.
Skills needed to crochet the stitch pattern
- How to chain.
- Single crochet
- Double crochet
- Yarn of your choice in any yarn weight – the sample swatch used double knitting weight/light or light worsted cotton (use any type of yarn);
- Crochet hook size for your yarn choice – hook used for this project – 4 mm hook, G/6 (US) 8 (UK)
- Scissors and
- Crochet Stitch Pattern of your choice.
STITCHES AND ABBREVIATIONS (US)
ch – chain
chs – chains
dc – double crochet
sc – single crochet
st – stitch
sts – stitches
GAUGE AND SIZE
This crochet swatch demonstrates the stitch pattern.
Gauge and size are not available as yarn, hook and tension may differ.
Crochet supplies shared in my Amazon Influencer Shop – click the pink link below: –
Some of the recommended items are affiliate links. If you make a purchase as a result thereof, I will earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thanks for supporting me!
diagonal fan (or Shell) stitch pattern (written instructions)
crochet stitch tutorial:
Chain in stitch multiples of 6 + 1
Stitch count is to be calculated according to the size of the crochet project.
Swatch: 31 chains.
Foundation row: 1 sc st in the 2nd ch from the hook, *chain 3, skip 3 chs, 1 sc in each of the next 3 chs, repeat from * to the last 2 chain stitches, 1sc in each of the remaining chains, turn.
First row: ch1 (counts as 1st sc), skip the next 2 sc’s, *dc5 in ch-3 space (of previous row), skip 1sc, sc in next sc (centre sc of 3), repeat from *, ending with sc in top of next chain (turning ch), turn.
Second row: ch3, skip sc and dc, *1dc in next 3 dc’s (centre 3 of 5), ch3, skip 1dc, 1 sc, 1dc and rep from * to last group of 5dc’s, 3 sc’s in middle of the shell (centre 3), ch2, skip 1dc and crochet 1sc in top of the turning chain, turn.
3rd row: ch3, (count as first dc), skip first, sc, make 2dc in ch-2 space, *skip 1 sc, sc in next sc (middle sc of 3), skip 1sc, dc5 into ch-3 space, rep from * ending with 3dc’s in ch-3 space, turn.
4th row: ch1, skip first dc, sc1 in next dc, *ch3, skip 1dc, 1 sc, 1dc, and sc in each of next 3dc (centre 3 of 5), rep from * ending with 1 sc in last dc, and make last sc in 3rd of ch-3, turn.
Rep row (s) 1 to 4 until your work is the desired length.
Enjoy your project made in this great stitch!
diagonal shell crochet stitch PATTERN IN UK TERMS
Use the US pattern above and substitute all single crochet stitches with double crochet
and all the double crochet stitches, with treble stitch. (UK terms).
WHERE TO USE THE diagonal fan crochet stitch?
Use this stitch to crochet yourself a:
- Baby Blanket
- Throw, blanket
- Summer top
- Beach covers up
- Pillow covers
- Market bag