The Cara Crochet Baby Blanket is the perfect gift for any new addition to the family or circle of friends.
This easy pattern was designed in one of the basic crochet stitches making it suitable for the beginner crocheter but also for the more experienced crocheter, wanting to make a baby shower gift.
Have you seen the new baby in the image below?
It is our baby Cara, our sixth grandchild and the happiest and friendliest little darling. Her Mommy chose the easy blanket pattern in baby neutral colors because they did not want to know the gender of their baby and kept us all in suspense.
May I just add that both grannies predicted that it was going to be a little girl - and what a great gift she is.
This free crochet pattern is suitable for a baby girl or baby boy.
The Cara Crochet Baby Blanket Pattern (for beginners)
WHAT YOU'LL NEED:
- Approximately 800 grams of yarn of your choice - We used Elle Babykins double knitting weight/light or light worsted weight yarn, in our favorite colors, white and grey
- Hook size for your yarn choice - hook used for this project - 4mm, G/6 (US) 8 (UK)
- Embroidery Needle
- The Pattern
Skill level: New crocheters with basic crochet skills and experienced beginner for the border.
I found this yarn on Amazon that is pretty like what I've used:
Some of the links are affiliated. If you make a purchase as a result thereof, I will be compensated, at no additional cost to you. Thanks for supporting me!
STITCHES AND ABBREVIATIONS
BS - Bobble stitch
ch - chain
hdc - half double crochet
MC - main color
SC - secondary color
slst - slip stitch
st - stitch
sts - stitches
yo - yarn over
Bobble Stitch (BS): for the border
Chain 3, yarn over, insert the hook into the 1st chain, yo, pull up a loop, yo, draw through 2 loops on hook. (At this point, you'll have 2 loops on the hook), yo, insert hook in same space, yo, pull up a loop, yarn over, draw through 2 loops on hook (4 loops on the hook), yo, insert hook into the same space, yo, pull up a loop, yo, draw through 2 loops. (6 loops on hook.) Yarn over, draw through all remaining loops on hook.
Think of it like this - Bobble stitch is almost making a group of incomplete double crochet stitches into one stitch.
Half Double Crochet (hdc):
Yarn over, insert hook into stitch, yo, pull up a loop (3 loops on hook). Yo, pull through all 3 loops = 1 half double crochet completed.
GAUGE AND SIZE
Hook and tension may differ.
With the listed yarn and hook, my blanket measures:
96cm (38") x 123cm (48") (length)
NOTES TO CLARIFY
- The ch2 made at the beginning of each row counts as the first stitch of the row.
- To ensure a smooth edge, your last stitch should be worked into the top of the ch2 from the previous row.
- This is a one-row repeat and easy baby blanket pattern.
- This pattern is reversible.
- The size is for a crib blanket.
- For a baby blanket size chart, you can refer to this Pin.
More Crochet stuff shared in my Amazon Influencer Shop
HOW TO CROCHET - VIDEO TUTORIALS
Learn how to:
FREE CROCHET BLANKET PATTERN
The pattern is in US terms.
Chain 150 chains in your main color (MC) + 2.
(You may use different colors, according to your taste or to match the nursery/color-scheme)
1st row: Hdc in the third chain from the hook, hdc in the next stitch and every chain/stitch across, ch2 and turn;
2nd row: Repeat row one in the easy stitch pattern (hdc) until your work is the required length.
(I crocheted 220 rows to reach the measurements of my cute baby blanket).
You can bind off your MC here or just continue in your secondary color to finish the border.
FINISHING YOUR border
You can opt to crochet the border around two edges or around the entire blanket.
The instructions are to complete the border around the whole blanket:
Round 1 - In grey, work around all the sides of the blanket in single crochet, making 3 sc's in the corners.
Round 2 - Start this round with 3 chains and complete the first BS, slst in the next 3 stitches, in the 3rd slst, continue with another BS. Continue in this manner around all sides of the baby blanket.
Bind off and weave in the ends.
BORDER PATTERN - VIDEO TUTORIAL
To be added.
Well done - you finished one baby blanket.
Now...make some more.
Please share on one of your social media accounts!
This relaxing and easy crochet stitch pattern does not require any counting or real concentration.
Enjoy and Happy Crocheting!
ENJOY MORE EASY CROCHET BABY BLANKET PATTERNS ON THE BLOG HERE:
- The most adorable animal granny squares
- The most popular granny squares to use in blankets/throws
- How to crochet straight granny stitch
- 15+ Site that offer free Crochet Patterns
- Small crochet squares to create picture blankets
- Quick and Easy Baby Blankets on Etsy
- Easy Moss Stitch Baby Blanket
- More free baby crochet blanket patterns
- Quick and easy crochet chevron baby blanket
- 5 Free Crochet Baby Blanket Patterns to make in a weekend
- Super Easy Crochet Baby Blanket