Welcome to the list of Granny Square Projects to make today, tomorrow and every time you have a stack of granny squares available.
Some of the crochet projects you may have seen before, but I am hoping that you will definitely be inspired by the rest.
I have a bunch of grannies in autumn colors and been wondering what to use it for. Guess what, it is going to be a very creative week for me.
For more granny square posts, here is a list of previously published posts on the blog (you can open the links in new browsers):
- The most popular Granny squares to use for throws
- Adorable Animal Granny square projects
- Pixel square making with small solid grannys squares
- Granny Christmas decorations and gifts
- Crochet a Granny Christmas tree
- Gift Card Envelopes
- Christmas Decorations
granny square projects to join today into useful items and handy handmade gifts
Just a short explanation of how to be directed to the posts and patterns below:
This is a list post, which first of all means that you can find a list of granny square crochet projects below and you can click on a specific pattern and blog name and the link to that pattern will open in a new tab (to reserve your spot here!).
My list will take you to classic granny crochet square patterns, or a combination of the square motif with some other crocheting.
I've categorized the granny square projects as follows:
- Hand Warmers
- Granny Headbands and Hats
- Throws and blankets
- Wall Hangings
- Soap Cozy
- Granny Lovey
- Summer Tops
- Christmas Stocking
- Christmas Decorations
- Sleep Socks
- Home Decor
- Trivet/Pot Holder
- Baby Accessories
- Scarves and Shawls
- Dog Sweaters
- And what not....
Crochet stuff shared in my Amazon Influencer Shop
Some of the links are affiliated. If you make a purchase as a result thereof, I will be compensated, at no additional cost to you. Thanks for supporting me!
- Fingerless hand warmers will definitely keep your fingers free and hands warm on a cold day. This is a super easy handmade project, inexpensive and ideal to gift to teachers, neighbours and students. Made by Lullaby Lodge;
- Will you believe me if I tell you that you can crochet a glove with one granny square? It is possible and you can find the free pattern on Truely Crochet;
- Hip to be square wrist warmers - the name is as hip as the crochet project! The goddess of Goddess Crochet, surely loves colors;
- Nurturing Fibres shares a free downloadable pattern for fingerless gloves in granny squares. Head over to grab your pdf-pattern.
- You'll need 13 Grannies to make the Tote bag by Ginger Knots (video below);
- Lily Sugar 'n Cream granny square bags by Yarnspirations are perfect for little gifts or girls to pretend play;
- The Bolsa granny bag is a nice size to carry around, or to store personal stuff when traveling. Free on Ravelry and made by Sandra Sanchez;
- Chunky retro granny stash bag by Crafternoon Treats is actually almost a basket. But a basket full of color and (hopefully) colorful things. Super easy.
granny headbands and hats
- Nana's Crafty Home produces some of the best crochet patterns around. Her slouchy granny square hat is no exception. You will simply fall in love with everything she makes;
- Crochet a shell-edged granny square headband using the free pattern by Jenna of xoxocrochet. The pattern uses small squares and will make an easy and inexpensive gift;
- And you can make a twisted headband with grannies too. Get the pattern and instructions on My Poppet blog.
- 135 Granny squares will make you a rainbow blanket. The color layout makes it so much easier to achieve a lovely crochet blanket. Haak Maar Raak (a Dutch site, with instructions in English), provides the free pattern;
- The Mabel Blanket is a modern crochet blanket in black and white available on Ravelry. The two-toned granny pattern results in less weaving of lose ends (if that is preventing you from starting to crochet squares);
- If there is one post that you do not want to miss, then please click through to Coffee time throw by Crochet Swirl. The detailed explanation and diagrams will help you so much to attempt (and finish) a granny square blanket;
- I love the Paintbox Blanket by The Patchwork Heart. Her color combinations are so well planned and chosen. This is truely a very striking crochet project that will become a heirloom crochet piece.
- Fancy a trinket pouch or fancy gift bag? Sara Key of Knit and Crochet lists a free pattern (of various granny square projects) in this post. Scroll to the bottom section of the post for this easier than you think crochet pouch;
- Bury all you "i-can-not-make-it" fears. Make a zippered pouch with the tutorial by Skip to my Lou. This is a personal challenge as it is something I am also shying away from!
- Make a notions pouch with 4 grannies. The pattern and instructions to line are from Sew Happy Creative UK.
- The wildrose backpack by All About Ami is feminine, modern and small enough to take wherever you go!
- Wall hanging with one adjusted granny motif by Erin Black on Ravelry;
- Crochet something extraordinary for your home - the granny square wall hanging is just a couple of squares hung on a dowel. Free pattern on the Crochet Swirl;
- The quilt inspired wall hanging by The Unraveled Mitten is quite something unusual. It demonstrates just how everyday items and other crafts can influence what we can make;
- Make a Grannitastic wall hanging to hide something or just to add some boho-ness to your home. Pattern by the Fibre Flux Blog.
- Crochet quick and easy Granny Square earrings to gift anytime of the year. Free pattern by Whistle & Ivy.
- Call it a pencil holder, a mini-gift bag or whatever you want, but this cute little drawstring bag is so cute. Head over to Arteen Hilo blogspot for the pattern and ideas...and it is ideal to use as a soap cozy.
- You'll love the nifty idea in this post by Sarah of Simply Shoe Boxes. Use a soft toy and crochet a granny square to make a baby lovey. . This site is about giving, please support her lovely cause;
- Crochet the Bunny Lovey by the Stitchin Mommy for an expecting Mom, or someone near and dear to you. This grandma needs to make stuff for her 6th grandchild and there is no better time than now!
- On my list of favorite crochet projects is the Arlo Granny Square Crocheted Cardigan Pattern by Mama in Stitch;
- GrannySquare Cardigan by Annah Haakt on Ravelry is a lovely colorful crochet wearable with a hood;
- Soft Pastels cardigan crochet pattern, free by Anchor Crafts;
- Kaitlin of Originally Lovely explains how to design and size your own cardigan. Read the full tutorial here.
- How to crochet a granny square top in any size - tutorial by The Snugglery;
- Crochet Vest Top pattern in granny squares, available on the Gathered blog;
- Granny Motif Vest by YarnSpirations;
- Who said you can not make a short with granny squares? Farrah Hodgson shares a free pattern for what she calls, "G Squared Shorts" on Ravelry.
- Make a Christmas stocking with 12 grannies in the colors of choice. Pattern by Best Free Crochet;
- The New Lighter Life shares 6 variations on the granny square Christmas stocking in her post.
- Granny Square Gift Card Envelope by Stitches 'n Scraps;
- One square Christmas ornament by Amy's A Stitch at a Time is such a quick and easy project. Make a bunch and fill your Christmas tree;
- Make a granny tree skirt to match your Christmas home decor. Pattern available on Yarnspirations.
- I love the flow of the Sedona Fall Poncho by Stitch and Hustle! You simply crochet 2 large granny squares and join the two to make up the poncho. A great in-between seasons or winter garment;
- Patricia of Patricia Fentie shares a colorful poncho pattern for toddlers. The pattern can be adjusted easily to obtain a large size.
- 12 Granny Squares will make a nice pair of Slippers - free pattern by Naztazia;
- Purl Soho is one of my favorite crochet and knit sites. She makes lovely slippers with granny motifs with detailed instructions;
- Tuula is a Finnish crochet designer and shares a lot of video's on You Tube. Her video below will assist beginner crocheters to make a pair of sleep socks/slippers.
- Would you believe you can make a dishtowel using grannies? Head over to Joy of Motion Crochet, to see how Janne did it; and
- You won't believe it, but Janne (yes from the dishtowel pattern above), made a ottoman with crochet squares. What an easy way to provide extra seating;
- Make an extraordinay table tunner with granny squares. Pattern by Sew Happy Creative UK;
- Crochet a granny curtain for your kitchen or bathroom (or any other room). The pattern and instructions on Marie-Lucienne are so good, you will have no problem making this;
- The holiday table runner in white and red is something that won't take too long to make and it is a useful gift too. Free pattern on Simple Things Crochet;
- Granny squares are ideal to make mug cozies. You can practically use the pattern and change the colors to make so many different variations! Another super easy and thoughtful handmade gift idea by Yarn Chick.
- Modern Black and White Crochet Potholder by Mama in a Stitch;
- Drops Design shares four potholder patterns made with granny squares. The pattern with 4 small squares is my favorite.
- Toni of TL Yarn Crafts created a gorgeous modern granny square afghan for a new baby;
- You can crochet Baby Booties around one granny square. Grab the tutorial by Wiam Crafts and make some for a baby shower; handmade gift or even to sell!
- A baby rattle with granny squares is really a rare thing to make. But, have a look at this creation on Ravelry. Pattern by Carmen Rosemann.
scarves and shawls
- Easier than you think Autumn Harvest Shawl by Drops Design;
- Annie Design Crochet used 14 squares to make a gorgeous scarf - very colorful and spells happy!
- Made by K, shares a lovely Hello Kitty and granny square scarf for little girls (nieces, granddaughter and cute darlings). Is it something that you will be making?
- Granny Square cowl on You Tube - video below;
- I know...your best friend needs to be covered in style too! Yarnspirations listed a free doggy sweater pattern. If you are making stuff for animal shelters, this is an easy pattern and handy to save.
- What an easy pincushion to make with only 2 squares! Free pattern available on Lulu Loves;
- Small, neat and pretty crochet pincushion inspiration on Love Stitches blogspot. It really is that simple and you can do it!
- Enjoy the video tutorial below on how to make a crochet pincushion with granny squares by Lori Holt.
- every house needs sewing needles and thread. Some don't necessarily use it, but it can come in handy. Why not make a cute needlebook and add a granny square to the front? The example made by My Poppet is so striking, you'll love this one!
final thoughts on granny square projects
Thank you for hanging around so long!
I appreciate your visit to my end of the world and would love for your to come again.
Be sure to sign up to the newsletter (you'll have to scroll up a bit to the start of the sidebar on your right), to be notified when new posts are published, of news in the EOTT space and because you've enjoyed this post.
Remember there is a link to my SHOP just beneath the logo and your ongoing support means I can share more free patterns with you.
Do care to share a pin, tweet, FB or IG share.
Here is the links to more crochet granny square projects available on the blog: