Have you ever wondered how to knit garter stitch? Or like some patterns refer to as 'work in garter stitch'.
Garter Stitch is the stitch pattern used to create fabric or a knitted piece by knitting every row back and forth on two needles.
So is there another way to knit garter stitch?
Yes, there are two more ways actually.
Garter stitch is also created when:
- Knitting in the round:
1st row - knit and
2nd row - purl
- Purling every row creates garter stitch (which creates a slightly bigger garter stitch project). Check out the image at the bottom of the page for a comparison between knit and purl garter stitch projects.
BUT WAIT - there is another option:
- Check out this post - No-purl garter stitch-in-the- round!
By all standards, garter stitch is one of the easiest and most used knit stitch patterns.
It is also the go-to pattern for beginner knitters.
how TO KNIT garter stitch
k - knit
rep - repeat
st - stitch
sts - stitches
more about garter stitch
- is a knit stitch pattern;
- is knit over any amount of stitches and rows;
- is a reversible stitch, meaning it looks the same on the front and back of your knitting project;
- it is stretchy;
- does not curl;
- you can knit anything in garter stitch and I'm listing some of my patterns towards the bottom of this post;
- change the look of the garter stitch by adding color.
new to knitting?
Check out the following posts:
the pattern - garter STITCH
Cast on any amount of stitches required for your knitting project - my sample shown is worked over 30 stitches using a DK (double knit) yarn with 4mm (6US, 8UK) needles.
1st Row (RS): Knit;
Repeat the pattern until your work is the desired length.
how to obtain a smooth edge when knitting
To obtain a neat edge, I slip every first stitch of a row (knit-wise) and knit the last stitch in the back loop.
how do i count garter stitch rows?
Garter stitch creates bumps and hills (or mountains).
Every ridge formed, represents 2 rows.
It is easy to confirm just by knitting 3 rows using garter stitch and counting the rows. Only after the 4th row, the second ridge will appear.
where can you use garter stitch?
- Wearable items
- Home articles
Garter stitch is an easy knitting pattern.
But, don't be fooled, a garter stitch project says a lot about your tension and yarn/needle combination. To obtain a smooth garter stitch fabric, you need to practice.
The links is this post is affiliate links and I will be compensated if someone makes a purchase as a result thereof. It is a means to recover the cost to maintain this site.