Learn how to knit Hyacinth stitch and see this beautiful flower enfolds.
Lace knitting patterns all have one thing in common - openwork. Now openwork means just what it says, holes or opening of some sorts in the knitted item.
You create the openings in your knitting by the use of:
- 'yarn forward' increases or
- elongated stitches which form more of a slit than a hole. Elongated stitches, are created by wrapping the yarn around your stitch, a certain number of times.
The openings in Hyacinth stitch is created by the use of elongated stitches.
how to knit hyacinth stitch
This post contains affiliate links. I may be compensated (at no added cost to you) if you make a purchase using these links.
knitting techniques used:
size / dimensions (approximate):
4.5" wide (11.5 cm) x 4.5" long (approximate 11.5 cm)
With the materials as listed, my gauge is:
26 stitches knit over 14 rows (approximate).
Though the pattern is not really tricky, purling 5 sts together is not so easy.
more about hyacinth stitch
- the stitch is not reversable;
- your first row will be the wrong side of the work. Uneven rows will form the wrong side and even numbers the right side of your knitting;
- it is a delicate stitch and requires a finer yarn;
- be sure to use a smooth pair of pointed knitting needles;
- cast your stitches on and knit as losely as you can;
- the provisional casting on method is recommended;
- you can add more stitches on the side to neaten the edges;
- keep the tension loose.
kpkpk: knit, purl, knit, purl, knit in the same stitch
p5tog: purl 5 sts together
RS: right side
WS: wrong sides
knitting pattern instructions
stitch PATTERN for hyacinth stitch:
Also known as Hyacinth Blossom Stitch
Assuming you knit with 2 needles, flat:
Cast on multiples of 6 + 2 (32 sts for this swatch) over 6 rows.
Cast on your required stitches.
Knit as follows:-
Row 1 (WS) - k1, *p5tog, KPKPK into next st*, k1.
2nd Row - purl
Row 1 (WS) - k1, *KPKPK into next st, p5tog*, k1
Row 4 - purl
Row 5 - knit, winding thread 3 times around the needle for each st (I slip my first st and work the last st in the back loop - and did not wrap the yarn on these 2 sts)
Row 6 - purl
Repeat these six rows until your work is the desired length.
Cast off and weave in ends.
what can i knit in hyacinth stitch?
- Throw edges
- Wearable items - lovely accented sleeves
You may knit a few rows to get comfortable with the stitch, but luckily it is a rewarding pattern.
The Hyacinth knit stitch pattern is an eye-catcher and I'm sure more than one person will compliment you on whatever you've knitted.
Whatever you do -
Some people create art with paint and a brush, and others with read more...
The Great Bernera Lace Knit Stitch pattern is by far the loveliest read more...
Learn how to knit Wheatear stitch, a lovely lace knitting pattern, dainty read more...