Use the Diamond Quilting Knit Stitch Pattern for your next knitting project. It is an easy pattern with texture and a great finish!
This knit stitch pattern is created:
- using a stocking stitch background;
- with loose threads of yarn connected in a diamond shape; and
- a combination of slip stitches and yarn forwards in the pattern rows.
It is basically a knit-purl stitch pattern with a bit of variation.
diamond quilting knit
- Any Yarn of your choice
- The sample was knit with Elle Gold (DK) yarn/Light worsted yarn
- Knitting Needles according to the thickness of your yarn (I used 4mm, 6US, 8UK)
This post contains affiliate links. I may be compensated (at no added cost to you) if you make a purchase using these links.
knitting techniques used:
size / dimensions (approximate):
5.3" wide (13.5 cm) x 4.1" long (approximate 10.5 cm)
With the materials as listed, my gauge is:
24 stitches knit over 30 rows.
Easy to Intermediate.
Beginner knitters confident in her/his knitting skills.
NOTES ON KNITTING DIAMOND QUILTING STITCH
The pattern may confuse beginner knitters, but the photo-tutorial and video will explain it all.
You will use the two basic knitting stitches, knit and purl with the following additional techniques:
- how to slip a stitch purl-wise (same as knitting purl, just not 'knitting' it)(by that I mean, you will insert your right needle purl-wise into the first stitch on the left needle, and swipe it over to the right needle (no yarn). The slipped stitch will not have working yarn attached to it.
- yarn forward - in the pattern, you will slip 3 stitches purlwise and then take your yarn from the front to the back, to knit (and catch the loose yarn) the next stitch. This yarn will show in the front of your knitting project, across the three slipped stitches;
- Slip all slipped stitches purlwise and slip with yarn in thr front (unless stated otherwise) - see image below.
k - knit
p - purl
sl - slip
st - stitch
sts - stitches
knitting pattern instructions
stitch PATTERN for diamond quilting:
Assuming you knit with 2 needles, flat:
Cast on stitches in multiples of 4 + 2 = 30 sts.
Knit as follows:-
Row 1 - *k1, yarn forward (not to increase), sl 3 sts purlwise, taking yarn in front of 3 slipped stitches to the back of your right needle (you can wind it round the right needle once)*, repeat from * to last 2 sts, k2
2nd Row - purl (letting the extra loop fall to the back)
3rd Row - knit
4th Row - purl
5th Row - k2, *k1 uls, (with point of right needle, take up the yarn in front of the slipped sts, and knit it with the next st on the left needle), yarn forward and sl 3, taking yarn to the back*, repeat fro m* to last st, k1
6th Row - purl (letting the extra loop fall to the back)
7th Row - knit
8th Row - purl
Repeat these 8 rows until you have the desired length. In the second and further repeats of the pattern, you will k1 uls the k1 in row 1.
Cast off and weave in ends or continue with your pattern.
does diamond quilting stitch curl?
My swatch only lifts up slightly at the bottom right and top left.
what can i knit in DIAMOND QUILTING stitch?
- Wearable items
- Home articles
For a very interesting and unique design, use a different color for the pattern rows.
I'm hoping that you save this link or pin to your boards.
Whatever you do -
Lace knitting patterns are always interesting and today you’ll learn how to read more...
Some people create art with paint and a brush, and others with read more...
The Great Bernera Lace Knit Stitch pattern is by far the loveliest read more...