What do you do if your daughter nags for a Dollhouse quiet book but you are not particularly skilled in sewing? You figure out how to crochet quiet books and create your own designs.
That is what Joanita Theron did and today she is a crochet designer.
Actually, her first attempt to crocheting quiet books was such a hit, that she turned her passion into her business.
Yes, the road was long and full of trial and error, but she persisted and consistently duplicated things that worked for her and her business.
Read more about Joanita's story in her 'About me' link in on her website, Creative Crochet Workshop (link at the end of the post).
how to crochet quiet books
Before you start crocheting your quiet books, check out the following:
Planning your Quiet book
When you plan a crocheted quiet book, take the following into consideration:
- Age of the child
- Interest of the child
- Skill level
- Favorite TV character/s
- Family traditions (religion, celebration, etc)
- And most of all - your own skill level (although there is a way around this too)
chose your yarn and colors
As for all crochet projects, match the type of yarn, with the project.
Choice of color can make such an impact on the final item, so take extra care with it. I know you may want to use up scraps, but leave it for the little in-between-embellishments.
Don't use too bulky or hard yarn either.
different size options
Joanita's crochet pages range in sizes:
- 27 cm or 10.6" (length) x 33 cm (width) or 12.9"
- 9" x 9" squares
- 5.5" x 5.5"
- 3.9" x 3.9"
Please note that the size will always depend on the hook and yarn combination, together with the tension.
Fabric or Felt Quiet books range in the following sizes:
- Standard 9" x 12" (or any size you want) felt sheets
- 6.7" x 6.7" Square pages (or any size you want)
- Other popular sizes: 8.5" x 11"
- 8" x 8"
- Mini quiet book pages are 4" x 4"
where to find inspiration
It goes without saying that existing quiet books offer loads of inspiration. These include:
- Felt quiet books
- Fabric sensory playbooks
- Wooden activity boards
- Felt or fabric puzzles
- Flat doll houses - often fabric or crocheted
- Activity pillow
- Mats full of different play stations for babies
But you can type the following words into the search bar on Pinterest, and find more inspiration than you have time for:
- quiet book printables
- quiet books printables template
- quiet book templates
- activity book for kids
- Crochet appliques
- Quiet Book Ideas Pinterest board
- Templates Pinterest Board
quiet book themes
It is always easier to chose a theme and create your playbook around the theme, such as Joanita's Doll House playbook:
- The first page is the house and front door
- Then follows all the rooms in a house, including the backyard and to round it off, the
- Doll with accessories
For a full list of suggested themes and templates, you can click through to a previous post on the blog: Free quiet book theme ideas and templates
featured artist: mom turned crochet pattern designer
The featured artist is Joanita Theron, a South African artist.
Her logo is Fun, Cute Whimsical, Unique Fibre Arts Patterns and her slogan:
"Crochet is an art and crocheters it’s artists. Each crafted item is unique and own to its crafter.”
All Joanita's playbooks have at least 4 pages but most go up to 8-9 pages.
She offers free patterns on her site, in particular the crochet quiet books with the following themes:
- Bible Stories
- Out in Space
- Fairy Tale
- Under the Sea
- Ladybird and Love - guest post on The Stitchin Mommy
- Unicorn crochet playset (not a quiet book but easily convertable)
adding the finishing touches
Embellish your quiet books with the following:
- Crocheted appliques
- Embroidered appliques
- Felt figurines
- Satin flowers
- Scrapbooking and crafting goods
Ensure that all notions are safe for use with children.
WHERE TO FIND JOANITA AND HER DESIGNS?
Joanita's website it called Creative Crochet Workshop;
Find her on Ravelry; and
and all her social media accounts below:
Are ready to start crocheting!
Please care to share the post on one of your social media accounts!