Learn how to make a Quiet Book
Small children are supposed to be busy, inquisitive and observing, that is how they learn.
BUT sometimes...just sometimes, you so wish they could just sit still...just 5 minutes and keep themselves occupied!
I know, I know...I'm a grandma and have all the sympathy in the world! And that is why I want to show you, one way, to curb the attention deficit...
With a quiet or busy book!
WHat is a Quiet Book?
A Quiet Book is normally a felt or fabric book, with pages filled with educational activities - an interactive scrapbook. The main aim (apart from quiet time), is developmental and sensory stimulation.
Some of the referrals may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase as a result thereof, I will be compensated at no extra cost to you.
Quiet Books consist of:
- A Front and Back Page (which can be personalised with your child's name on it) - the cover;
- Pages, each with an own theme or an extension of the overall theme;
- Pages are neatly bias-binded whilst others are cut with pinking shears. Some books can be quilt-like, whilst others are just plain but useful.
- The concept of Quiet Books, are sometimes extended to:
- Developing Cubes (fabric blocks);
- Burger Books;
- Fishing Game;
- Doll House;
- Doll House Handbag
- Quiet Tablets;
- Developing Rug;
- Activity Pillow;
- Car Play Mat
LEARN How to make Quiet Books
- Find a book lay-out that suits your creative skill;
- Decide on the fabric/felt/flannel/pellon you want to use;
- How many pages are you going to include in the book?
- Which shape and size book will you be making?
- Choose a theme;
- Get a pattern or dimensions and templates and start creating the awesomeness!
- Arrange the sequence of the pages before you assemble the final book.
For more Ideas, click through to my Pinterest Board :-
QUIET BOOK PAGES
You can make your pages as follows:
- Standard 9" x 12" (or any size you want) felt sheets / 6.7" x 6.7" Square pages (or any size you want).
- Other popular sizes: 8.5" x 11"; 8" x 8".
- Mini quiet book pages are 4" x 4".
- Sew two/three button holes on one side of page, and then use shoelaces for the loops, or
- Add 2 ribbon or bias loops to string pages together, or
- Make pages with eyelets - to file the pages in a binder, or
- Stitch an insert on the side of the page with holes to string the pages together, or
- Stitch an insert on the side and stitch the inserts to the pages.
- Make an old fashioned fabric book, all pages stitched together.
- Opt for no-sew Quiet Book
THIS IS THE BEST TUTORIAL YOU'LL EVER NEED TO MAKE A QUIET BOOK - from embroidery library.
Don't shy away if you are not embroidering, it is a picture tutorial and trust me, the best one, I have come across!
Round-edged pages with a flap to string it, by BUBABUM on Etsy.
Awesomeness by Tom Toy.
Square pages with small loops by Kuku And Bubu.
Square pages with eyelets by Do Small Things With Love.
Pages strung together with cover by Do Small Things With Love.
12 Free Quiet Book page patterns and Cover Pattern by Thread Riding Hood.
Powerful Mothering shares a No-Sew Quiet Book Tutorial - watch the video below:
Quiet Books can be made using:
- Yarn (crochet/knit)
It's best to pick a theme, or to have the different pages related to each other.
- Standard 9" x 12" (or any size you want) felt sheets / 6.7" x 6.7" Square pages (or any size you want)
- Other popular sizes: 8.5" x 11"; 8" x 8"
- Mini quiet book pages are 4" x 4"
Also very different:
- Sophisticated bias binding edges
- Rough edges
- Straight or rounded
- Easy binder style
- All sewn together in a neat book
Making quiet books are just another form of art - as you can see from the stunning pages!
If you make a ordinary fabric book, it's fine - it's what you have time for and maybe it is all you can afford.
Give yourself some credit and JUST MAKE IT!