The charity cozy FALL MAL (Make-a-long) is more than halfway and today I'm sharing the pattern for cables and tweed knit squares.
Use the free cable pattern and mix it up with other squares or stick to one pattern to make a gorgeous blanket or decorative pillows for your couch.
how to knit
Cables and Tweed Knit Squares
If you've always wanted to attempt cabled patterns, starting with this pattern is a great way to gain confidence and feel how rewarding a knitted cable is. This great pattern is made up of a tweed panel followed by a cable. The effect of tweed stitch is created by the jog stitches created when alternating a different color every two rows. The front of the work is your pattern.
More about the Make-a-long:
Two incredible ladies, Noorain of Noor's Knits and Hortense of Knitting with Chopstick organized the Charity Cozy Fall Makealong.
Both ladies have personal stories and have had loved ones affected by childhood cancer. They have organized this event to give back where it’s most needed. A portion of proceeds from this event will be donated to Cure Childhood Cancer. More about how you can contribute below.
Please care to share my pins on any of your social media accounts, to spread the word and help us achieve our goal for charity.
The Charity Cozy Fall Makealong works as follows:
The makealong started 3rd of October throughout October 28th, 2022.
- Every weekday a FREE knit AND crochet AND Tunisian crochet 8" x 8" square, by a different designer will be released. (Links shared below).
- All patterns use Worsted weight yarn.
- Win MAL Giveaway Prizes (valued at $134; one winner).
- The giveaway is open worldwide! Winners will be announced via YouTube LIVE (@noorsknits and @knittingwithchopsticks) on November 2nd at 12 pm CST/1 PM EST. Each winner will also be contacted via e-mail. You will have 24 hours to claim your prizes.
- You can purchase the Knitting / Crochet or Tunisian Crochet PDF patterns or the complete bundle and by purchasing, you donate to Cure Childhood Cancer.
- That’s not all! Each purchase of a bundle counts as an entry into a raffle to win one of the prize bundles listed below:
- 1st Prize: Meghan Makes Do Espresso Pouch and $40 gift card from Knit Picks (Valued at $80)
- 2nd Prize: Darn Good Yarn Luxury Ceramic Yarn Bowl and Darn Good Yarn Silk Roving Worsted Weight Yarn (Valued at $65)
- 3rd Prize: Furls Mystery Tunisian Crochet Hook and $50 Furls gift card (Valued at $96)
ALL THE LINKS AND TO-DO's:
Make sure you join Noor’s Knits Facebook Group HERE (LINK) / Knitting with Chopsticks Facebook group HERE (LINK) to share your squares for a chance to win some fun prizes! You can also share on Instagram for extra entries, just make sure to tag the hosts @noorsknits and @knittingwithchopsticks and use the hashtag #CozyFallMAL!
SUPPORT A GOOD CAUSE - REMEMBER, SHARING IS CARING
The blanket that you’ll be making will be a truly special one. If you wish to, you can donate all your squares / finished blanket to a charity from the list provided (in the post of 30 September 2022 on Noors Knits).
By the end of October, you’ll have made 60 completely unique crochet, Tunisian crochet, and knit 8” squares by different designers.
MORE ABOUT CURE CHILDHOOD CANCER
Cure Childhood Cancer’s mission is to help fund research for childhood cancer and support the kids and their families going through these tough times. From meals and counselling to financial assistance, CURE is committed to walking alongside families throughout their cancer journey. You can find more information over on their website here.
AND THIS IS HOW YOU CAN CONTRIBUTE (to charity):
Each bundle (a bundle each for Knit, Crochet and Tunisian crochet Squares is available for $16 (that’s just a few cents per pattern and you get a total of 20 complete square patterns in each bundle!). A Trifecta containing all 60 patterns at $35 is available too.
Thirty percent of proceeds from bundle sales will go towards Cure Childhood Cancer. This is a terrific opportunity for us to use our crafting skills to raise funds and awareness!
HERE ARE THE LINKS TO EACH PILLAR POST
The first knit, Tunisian crochet, and crochet squares of this free MAL have been released and you can get all the daily links on each of the three listed posts below:
TAKE ME TO THE BUNDLES
- Grab the Cozy Fall Crochet Squares Pattern Bundle HERE
- Grab the Cozy Fall Knit Squares Pattern Bundle HERE
- Grab the Cozy Fall Tunisian Crochet Squares Pattern Bundle HERE
- Or Grab the Cozy Fall Blanket Square Patterns Trifecta Bundle (includes all 60 patterns) HERE
Save by purchasing bundles together! Buy the Trifecta for only $35!
Help us make a difference! Remember each purchase also counts as an entry into the raffle where you can win 1 of 3 amazing prize bundles!
If you make a bundle purchase, I will be earning a small commission as an affiliate.
Now for today's pattern:
CABLES AND TWEED KNIT SQUARES (free pattern on blog)
M A T E R I A L S
2 Contrasting colors in worsted weight
Color A - White
Color B - Purple
The number of skeins required will depend on your design.
5.5mm / I/9 (US) or 5 (UK)
21 stitches/ 36 rows = 4 inches or 10cm in stitch patterns
cn / cable needle
k / knit
p / purl
st / stitch
sts / stitches
8 inches by 8 inches or 20 by 20cm
Yarn needle to weave in ends
notes or special stitches
- Always slip stitches purl wise unless told otherwise.
- When slipping sts in this pattern, the working yarn will be on the wrong side of the fabric/your work.
- You'll be able to stretch the square in width but not in length.
- Blocking your squares will be necessary.
- Personally, I did not initially notice that the garter stitch edgings are looser than the square, but once sewn together, it won't bother.
- Though the pattern states a worsted yarn, a bulky yarn will be equally suitable.
GRAPH OR CABLE CHART
Read the graph starting in the bottom right corner.
All odd numbered rows are RS rows while even rows
are worked on the WS.
Cables and Tweed Knit Square
Cast on 38 sts.
1st Row: With A, knit across.
Rows 2 and 6: With A, purl across.
3rd and 7th Rows: With B, *p3, slip the next 4 sts with the yarn in back. Repeat from * to last 3 sts, p3.
4th Row: With B, *k3, slip the next 4 sts with the yarn in front. Repeat from * to last 3 sts, k3.
5th Row: With A, *k3, slip the next 2 sts onto cn and hold in front, k2, k2 from cn. Repeat from * to last 3 sts, k3.
If you don't have a cable needle, transfer the 2 sts to a safety pin or pinch it in your left hand while you're knitting the other 2 sts.
6th Row: rep row 2.
7th Row: As row 3.
8th Row: As row 4.
Repeat rows 1 - 8 until the square measures 8 " or 20cm.
HOW TO JOIN KNITTED SQUARES
First, arrange your squares in the shape and size you want. Baste or pin your squares together and align the top and bottom.
There are several ways to join your knitted squares as listed below (clickable link to You Tube videos or posts):
- Edge to edge seam as usually done when sewing knitted pieces together by Easy on the Tongue
- How to seam pieces together with a knit strip by Little Nutmeg Productions
- Using mattress stitch as demonstrated by Debbie Stoller of Creativebug
- Join knit squares using the crochet slip stitch method by Meghan of Meghan Makes Do
- Slip Joins in a different manner (joining outer loops) by Cynthia Hyslop
- or Use Baseball stitch as demonstrated by 10RowsADay
DETAIL OF ALL THE BUNDLES AGAIN:
Grab the Cozy Fall Blanket Square Patterns Trifecta Bundle (includes all 60 patterns) HERE
Your support will be so appreciated.
links to the anchor posts in the MAL
Thanks for visiting my blog.
Please come again!
Remember, whatever you do -
SIGN UP TO RECEIVE A FREE PDF OF THE MITERED KNIT SQUARE PATTERN:
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE THESE KNIT SQUARE PATTERNS
- Original garter stitch mitered square pattern.
- Rainbow mitered square knitting pattern.
- Knit a lacy version of the square - pattern here.
- A garter stitch ridge-like variation of the knit block, can be found here.
- Block in the square variation is available here.
- Contrasting Stripey Knit Block.
- Square in garter and stocking stitch