If you close your eyes and imagine what you want on your plate for Christmas, what would it be?
I know what would be in my pudding bowl…..trifle containing nuts, swiss-roll dipped in Brandy, cherries and lots of custard….yummy!!!
The table will be laden with the most ‘spared’ and delicate crockery and the most exquisite serviettes folded in small Christmas trees with a little pom-pom as a star! I will take out the box with crystal glasses just for the occasion. Mary’s Boy Child on the player and crinkle hats balanced on too-big-a-heads!
You get the picture?
So, what do you want on your Christmas Plate?
If you must be reminded, it is full summer in December in South Africa. We are really praying for rain and traditionally, we serve rather cold than hot Christmas meals. Having said that, we do Leg of Lamb, sliced and cold with sweet mustard and gammon, partnered with salads.
In our home, we have one vegetarian, one on a High Fat, low carb diet and lots of meat-lovers! Mom is ageing, so she needs softer meat and gran’s sweethearts, need healthy and easy-to-eat-with-little-fat-hands options.
Like a proper hostess, we will source dishes in the following categories:
- Watermelon with grilled cheese and nut crumble – there is no recipe (guess it is in the publication) but what a different take on watermelon! Perfect! You can take your time on this blog, this chick rocks!
- Christmas aubergine stack – I have said it before, I am going to say it again, the creativity of people just never seize to amaze me! If this tastes as good as it looks, it is going to be a divine way to start a meal!
- Bubble fruit salad in apple cups – Ohhhh noooo…wait till you see this. My family will not believe if I dish up something like this!
- Chicken popcorn for tiny tots, is granny genius or what? – http://www.yourfamily.co.za/recipe/chicken-popcorn
- Glazed ham served hot or cold – always a winner. You can cook it in Appletizer (frizzy apple juice) as well (it makes it sticky and fruity).
- Crayfish and beef fillet – not a usual combination. As it is crayfish season, maybe we will be lucky to catch some for this dish!
- Chai spice Pumpkin Tart – as the official supporter of Chai Latte Grande, I can not wait for this taste!
- Cheesy corn cakes with spicy avocado salsa – I remember having eaten these as a child and I have not really turned it into a family dish, though it really has a unique taste.
- Pickled beetroot, especially if prepared with baby beetroot, you will not be able to keep up with the demand, so to speak.
- Nougat and ice cream cake with hot raspberry sauce, can be prepared in advance and match the table setting with the sauce too!
- Ice cream log with marshmallows, oh my oh my….the choice is going to be tough!
- Quick and easy Amarula trifle. Ok, they had me at quick and easy already. Tasty option. Do you get Amarula in your parts of the world?
- Pink cranberry limonade – this will fit my new funky straw cups and the table lay out!
- Passion Fruit according to the homemade recipe in the link or you can try my friend Elna’s divine quick and easy concoction! (See recipe below)
- Holiday Sangria – you can make it bubbly for fun around the table. Most men talk more with a bit of refreshment!
What on earth are knock-outs?…Those exotic, one of a kind too pretty to eat dishes – like:
- Apple rose tarts (to make – Marilise, my hands-on daughter. She is like a famous brand, she will just do it!
- Christmas gingerbread tree, really….imagine the perfect table setting with little trees waiting for each guest as they sit down.
- Rice in a pumpkin – an odd knock-out but what a combination! It must be so yummy!!